colors of the soul


Posted by Picasat
the trees have turned, cool weather did the trick a few weeks ago, and now we are awash in oak leaves everywhere, and some of the mighty ones are holding golds and bronze in spite of the winds.
It is like me, the big old oak tree, growing, waving in the light breeze. It has seen many seasons, and fed countless acorns to the forest animals. In preparing for winter it must give up its leaves, or it would be overloaded by the snows. it must be stripped bare in order to be saved. The health of that old tree and of myself is preserved by our ability to let go of what no longer feeds us, to mark another growth ring on our trunk, to put to bed the memories of summer and wait the winter to see what new sprouts will come in the inevitable spring. If spring were not a certainty, I would be tempted by despair. If faith did not tell me that the next year of my life is full of more inspiration, more meaning, and more depth, I could fall for the depression that used to grip me at this time of year. Not any more. This is no more than another of the cycles that I must grow through in order to keep moving upward toward the highest plane of my existence so far.
    When hiking very high parts of  the Sierra Nevada mountains last month, I scaled two large passes and a summit of 14,496 feet. It was a battle of will, and a contest in the mind as much as the body.  I won each days battle, and the five day course was run because I knew that the pass was a set, finite number of feet above me, and that I was unlimited in my energy to get there, to celebrate, and to make it over that days hurdle. When you come over one pass, and the views open to a huge valley of seemingly endless opportunity, there is a trail way down there, and you get to enjoy it for a while as it follows a river valley. Soon enough there is another climb, and you find yourself stronger and more ready for the work that must be done. Faith grows as we exercise it. Our trust in our own abilities is strengthened by doing all that we can, by pushing over the limit lines, and setting our feet on high places with extraordinary views.  I have been, and will always be an adventurer. Set me on the next path, dear Lord, I am ready to travel as long as I know you go with me.

Comments

Amrita said…
Good writing bro.

Popular Posts