3:42am

I am awake in the middle of the night again.
The quiet is captivating
I fill the woodstove with a piece of hard eucalyptus, confident that it will last til sunrise.
I fill the tea kettle and make some decaf english breakfast tea.
Sitting at the computer, I converse with my favorite person, You!

Sleep seems like something for those whose brains are not ON all the time.
Just as rest is for those who have enough wood stacked by the door as insurance against a heavy winter. Right now, I thank God that winter has been delayed, and pray that when it comes, I will remember the warmth of November days and the clear crisp nights when the woodstove chased the chill and my thoughts flowed from brain to keyboard to screen, and then drowsiness allowed me to seek the warmth under the covers again. Dawn in two hours. Then another day filled with hope and joy.

Comments

Popular Posts